The Kebbi State Government has granted tax waivers to individuals, the suspension of the implementation of new rates, fines and levies in the state as part of palliative measures to cushion the effects of the COVID-19 lockdown on business owners and individual tax payers in the state.
The Executive Chairman of the Board of Internal Revenue (BIR), Kebbi State, Alhaji Illiyasu Arzika, while announcing the palliatives, explained that the waivers were approved by the Kebbi State Governor, Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, to cushion the effects of the pandemic on the tax payers, corporate bodies and business owners.
The palliative measures including the following:
- All individual tax payers including self-employed persons are given an extension of up to 30th July 2020 to file their tax returns.
- Waiver of any liability arising from interest or penalty on the extended compliance due date of filling the tax.
- 100% Waiver of the state annual development levy imposed by law on every taxable adult person in the state for the current assessment year 2020.
- Suspension of the implementation of all new rates, fines, levies and fees under the state revenue administration law currently under amendment even when passed into law for a period of one calendar year from the date the Governor signed the law as shall passed by the State Assembly.
- 50% Waiver on all accruing interest and penalties on tax liabilities on Corporate bodies in the state.
- A consensus of 30% off on all arrears of tax liability of one year and over, for individuals under personal income tax assessment.
Arzika directed all staff agents and tax payers to comply and implement the directives and guidelines on the new tax relief measures.